We're back

Discussion in 'Forum information and help' started by Thierry Martin, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Thierry Martin

Thierry Martin supreme commander won penny contest 2x weekly contest winner simulator winner 5x

While preparing this site for a move to a more powerful dedicated server on Friday night, someone in tech support at my hosting company made a gigantic boo-boo and completely deleted the "virtual environment" of all my 28 websites, CramersMadMoney.com being one of them. (what that means is that the operating system of the server running the site was destroyed, and is now patched up with band aids as a temporary measure, but will not be completely replaced with a brand spanking new version until tomorrow morning.)

The good news is that everything has been restored to December 30. The bad news is that we were offline for about 40 hours, and probably scared a lot of visitors and search engine robots into thinking we were out of business. We also seem to have lost all the data since December 30, the last time a backup was done. This may be fixed tomorrow, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you registered since December 30, you will receive an email asking you to re-register, since your joining the forum has fallen into the black hole of the lost data. Sorry about that.

Best wishes, and thanks for your support.

(by the way, this happened while we were preparing for the move to the dedicated server, not actually moving to it. The move will take place in about 10 days, and barring any more catastrophes, the transition should be completely transparent, other than the increase in speed loading pages.)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  2. Jordan

Jordan Member won weekly contest 5x

Glad to see the site back up. Thanks for the time and work put into it, this is my most visited website

3. MoMoney4Me

MoMoney4Me Member won weekly contest 7x

Don't ever scare us like that again !
    I thought you'd been hacked and we'd never get back in.
    I was about to donate my PC to Goodwill, I would'nt have had use for it if cramersmadmoney.com were extinct.

What a relief, glad you're back up and running Thierry !

8)

4. bahroor

bahroor Active Member weekly contest winner won dec/06 simulator

haha, kinda funny looking at the posts... rewind market one week.

Thierry, your hard work and dedication is appreciated.

5. Thierry Martin

Thierry Martin supreme commander won penny contest 2x weekly contest winner simulator winner 5x

The site is running on a hack until tomorrow morning, so forgive the slowness.

A lot of the posts are time sensitive, and become obsolete quicky. If you posted anything important, please try to recreate if you have a chance. You could wait until tomorrow to make sure a more recent version of the site isn't available.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  6. Tuxguy

Tuxguy Member

Thanks Thierry

7. krazykowboy

krazykowboy Member weekly contest winner

Deja Vu !!! Yehawwwwww !

And I wuz jes thinkin that left handed blunt I been smokin wuz kickin' in !

8. spanky

spanky Member won weekly contest 2x

Thierry, you run 28 sites? WOW!

9. Thierry Martin

Only 24 sites, actually, the other 4 are defunct and expired domains that we were removing from the server when the catastrophe happened. This site, by the way, is the one with the most traffic, and the nature of a forum (database driven) is that it is very resource hungry. And I am not sure why, but the last few weeks we have been seeing a surge in traffic, and I see our CPU maxing out all the time, so I am moving to a server with a faster processor and more ram and bandwidth before the forum turns to glue.

By the way, except the domain that serves our ads here, all the other sites are still offline. After a lot of work, we managed to hack together a temporary workaround to get this site back on line.

10. TonyM

TonyM Active Member weekly contest winner

You're not using apple stuff are you?:p Just kidding with you Thierry, although one of the newer quad core servers might be helpful ? Anyhow, thanks for getting us back up before the bell, it'd be like missing my coffee without checking in here first.

11. Technical Alchemist

Technical Alchemist forum leader won penny contest 13x won weekly contest 12x

That would explain where my most recent posts went.