Weekly Stock Challenge 9/19/2008

Discussion in 'Weekly stock picking challenge' started by Thierry Martin, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkahn

rkahn Member weekly contest winner

SKF long

2. Luvnrio

Luvnrio Member won weekly contest 4x

VC Long please

3. wizard001

wizard001 New Member

FHN - Long

Roll the dice... C'mon Fed.

4. JayIV

JayIV Member

Couldn't of timed that any better aye?

5. TheChartGuru

TheChartGuru Active Member won weekly contest 7x won sept/08 simulator won feb/06 simulator won jan/08 simulator won may/06 simulator won mar/08 simulator

With the LEH bk news, I will change my pick to RDN short

The Guru

6. Florida

Florida Member won weekly contest 10x won aug/08 simulator won apr/08 simulator won jan/09 simulator

not feeling very brave this morning, but I do believe the market as a whole will rebound a little by the end of the week so I'm going with SPY long.

As for all the financial plays on the contest this week good luck, you could be hero's or zero's. Not willing to place a bet in either direction for the whole week in this area, but could make for some interesting plays on the monthly challenge.

7. Thierry Martin

Thierry Martin supreme commander won penny contest 2x weekly contest winner simulator winner 5x

8. Thierry Martin

Thierry Martin supreme commander won penny contest 2x weekly contest winner simulator winner 5x

9. Thierry Martin

10. Thierry Martin

Really Weird

This is REALLY STRANGE - The totals $470 and 1.02% for the day are exactly the same as for Monday - I think the odds against this must be incredible. Florida - can you check this out - I thought I had made a mistake in the upload, but the numbers are all different except for the totals.

11. aiki14

aiki14 Well-Known Member won april/06 simulator won weekly contest 13x won feb/07 simulator won jan/07 simulator won nov/06 simulator won mar/07 simulator

Re: Really Weird

Interesting, it also got me thinking, the market is down 800 points in the last three days, and we as a group are up 1.02%. What is the overall performance for the year and how does it compare to the indices.
    So we as a group are down 48.29% if you add up the percentages week by week, or if you had invested $10,000 and let it ride each week you would have $5994 at the end of last week.

Another interesting thing I found is only 2 times did anyones pick finish at the exact same price at the end on friday that it opened the previous monday. I would have thought there would be more of those.

12. Re: Really Weird

So what you saying, is that as a whole our mutual fund would not get 5 stars from morningstar. :)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  13. aiki14

aiki14 Well-Known Member won april/06 simulator won weekly contest 13x won feb/07 simulator won jan/07 simulator won nov/06 simulator won mar/07 simulator

Re: Really Weird

We are not alpha generative. It goes to show how difficult it is to be. However, we are so consistently bad that taking the opposite positions would have been very nice indeed.

14. stideas

stideas Member won weekly contest 2x

SHLD short

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008
  15. Thierry Martin

16. Thierry Martin

Well, Bama Nation, you really pulled that one off!

Picture-1.gif

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.