User reputation enabled

Discussion in 'Forum information and help' started by Thierry Martin, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Thierry Martin

Thierry Martin supreme commander won penny contest 2x weekly contest winner simulator winner 5x

I have added user reputation controls to the profiles. You can vote positive or negative on posts and the users now have symbols (I'll try to find better ones, but these will do for now) that indicate their relative popularity on the forum. This is probably a good idea with a forum like this because it enables new users to somewhat judge the reliability of the posters. I'll update everyone on the way this moves forward, because we will want to tweak it till it reflects things accurately. Let me know what you think.

When you really don't like someone now, you can vote down their reputation and help warn others how they stand in our community.

Here is how the vB reputation 'dots' work:

One green dot is given for every started 100 reputation points.

From 500 points on, one bright green dot is given for every started 200 reputation points.

One red dot is given for every started 100 negative reputation points.

From 500 negative points on, one bright red dot is given for every started 200 negative reputation points

If a user has 0 reputation points, a gray dot is displayed.

If a user has chosen to turn off reputation in his Control Panel (under options) a black dot is displayed.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
    TonyM and MyRightEye like this.
  2. TonyM

TonyM Active Member weekly contest winner

This should be fun, equivalent to the cliques in high school.

Let me take a wild guess at the initial response; pumpers knock down the 'regular' stock forum regulars and they return the favor. However, anyone that gains a good reputation in spite of this is probably a very laid back seasoned sage that hasn't made any enemies. Well, Grunt and myself are in the running for worse rep. bow28.gif

I'm not knocking your latest tweak to the forum Thierry, after the initial obligatory round of entries it should settle down into something that might be useful. Will users be able to see who voted for/against them? Don't forget to be on the lookout for multiple identities by some people.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
    aiki14 likes this.
  3. Thierry Martin

Thierry Martin supreme commander won penny contest 2x weekly contest winner simulator winner 5x

Tony - it's a very sophisticated system, and I can't reveal all of it here because I don't want anyone gaming it.

The more posts you have, the longer you have been a registered user, the more positive votes for your posts, the more voting power you have. In other words, the more reputation points you have, the more your votes count because you are giving more points to the person you are voting for than would a poster with fewer reputation points of their own.

New users, pumpers, etc. would not be able to alter the results in a significant way.

Of course IP addresses are tracked. You can only vote once for any given post. There is a limit to the amount of votes in one 24 hour period based on your voting power.

Let's try it out for a while and see if the results match what we intuitively know about the relative contributions of the posters here.

It is a democratic system, more or less, and just like real elections, there will be some fooling around and corruption, but I doubt the effort required to cheat would be worth it for anyone but a true madman.

I also have access to an infraction system, but I am worried that we will lose all of our most colorful characters here if people can vote to have them censored. I prefer a system that rates the users based on their usefulness.

You can see who voted on your posts in your control panel.

All negative votes require a comment, and I can review those to see if the negative votes are logical or warranted, if not, I can dismiss them.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  4. TonyM

I see, so how'd you get so high up already?;)

computeraces likes this.
  5. Thierry Martin

I just fixed that - the system seems to default to 2000 points for the administrator.

netwrangler likes this.
  6. Luc1Grunt

Luc1Grunt forum leader

Again Tony! Scotch through the nose and on the keyboard. You're gonna owe me a bottle of Dalmore one of these days, but till then....Merry Christmas!!

PS....I'm gonna have to "un-ignore" a few posters and give them "two thumbs up"..:mrgreen:

computeraces likes this.
  7. reef

reef Member won weekly contest 7x won aug/06 simulator won dec/07 simulator

I just cleared out my ignore list, lol! :lol:

Thierry Martin likes this.
  8. computeraces

computeraces Member

Just cleared mine too.

Thierry Martin likes this.
  9. TonyM

Hehe, I'm just looking out for your liver, you'll thank me one day. I'll need to see some photographic evidence along with your bill for the Dalmore, not that I doubt you, I just want my money's worth:lol:

I found that I'm too inquisitive to have people on ignore, can't learn anything by sticking my fingers in my ears, even if it is only to learn how ignorant a person is, info is info.:wink:

Well, I'm going to slum it with my Chivas, Cheers and happy holidays to you and your family.

10. Luc1Grunt

Luc1Grunt forum leader

Too late in the game to save this liver!!

This is very good....I usually drink the 21 or occasionally the 12

dalmore.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
  11. aiki14

aiki14 Well-Known Member won april/06 simulator won weekly contest 13x won feb/07 simulator won jan/07 simulator won nov/06 simulator won mar/07 simulator

I like the Dalmore a lot as well. I am sitting with a Glenmorangie 18 which I found in the duty free in Sydney on the way here. I would recommend The Balvenie 21 Portwood as well.

12. Luc1Grunt

Luc1Grunt forum leader

Glenmorangie 18. You have good taste. Never had the latter...have to put it on my list.

May have to give you a few more reputation points for Scotch recommendations! :mrgreen:

aiki14 likes this.
  13. aiki14

aiki14 Well-Known Member won april/06 simulator won weekly contest 13x won feb/07 simulator won jan/07 simulator won nov/06 simulator won mar/07 simulator

Grunt, if you enjoy a good scotch, check out the Scotch Malt Whisky Society. It's representatives go around Scotland and find the best whisky out there, buy the whole hogshead, and bottle it at cask strength in the society's own bottles. Then make it available only to members. The president's selection for best whisky of the year a couple years ago was a 36 yr old MacCallum, a Speyside whisky, which is the best I have ever had. Every month they send out a newsletter/bottling list from which you can choose, and they have a rating and description for each whisky. Here's the link
    http://www.smwsa.com/

14. Luc1Grunt

Luc1Grunt forum leader

I got turned on to this a couple years back while enjoying a fine single at the Dell in the Dundee section of Omaha. Don't know why I lost track of it. Maybe because of the several samples over the course of the next 5 hours, ha!!

I'll check it out again.....

Exchange rate sucks, but wifey is putting on the pressure for an Edinburgh trip.

15. TonyM

After pondering that, I don't see why you shouldn't start there, even though I don't always agree with you, I do give you props for never losing your temper and composure (that I can recall anyway) when it would be so easy to do so. Yep, you're a pretty mellow dude, and that's frustrating at times;)

16. englishman26

englishman26 Active Member won weekly contest 6x

Who the heck is Bill Daughtridge and how'd he get a higher rep score than me??

Ever try Bowmore? - amazing smokey flavor. Other whiskey's mentioned all great though!

17. TonyM

Ya think some people are pm'ing their way to a status symbol? Nah, nobody is so vain as to solicit rep points, are they?:lol:

Btw & fwiw, I take back my former statement about Thierry being even-tempered, he seems to have lost a little in that department.

18. englishman26

englishman26 Active Member won weekly contest 6x

wow - you have the 2nd worst rep on the site Tony, just ahead of gzapper! Congrats! Hey what do they say - "better to be hated than ignored" eh?!

19. TonyM

I have been working very hard to get worse rep but it is much harder than one would think and I'm almost peeved that gzap is here to steal my thunder, however I was the first to have a completely neutral rating...for a day or so anyway.:D

20. TonyM

User reputation enabled 01-09-2008 03:56 PM wants negative votes

Thank you kind sir or madam.