Monthly Stock Pickers Challenge - January 2006

Discussion in 'Weekly stock picking challenge' started by ChronicDDL, Dec 24, 2005.

1. englishman26

englishman26 Active Member won weekly contest 6x

That looks right!

I assume we're letting Booyahoo short his picks. I love to see bears get burnt! :wink:

2. ChronicDDL

ChronicDDL valued contributor won weekly contest 4x

He can play them short but the winner of the game is not the biggest loser even if you call it ahead of time. The winner is the person with the highest % gain; if his picks have the highest % gain then he will win.

3. BOOOYAHOOO!

BOOOYAHOOO! banned

You like to see bears get burned? or contrarians? Remember, I am the only one in the competition who is playing the game by shorting. Everyone else is long. I may be a smug bear. But you might just be a bull in a room fulla bulls! Veeeeeeery dangerous. :wink: 8O :lol:

4. englishman26

Just think the actual "[pretend]money where your mouth is" test is going to be fun.

Nothing wrong with being a bear in general.

5. kevin12

kevin12 New Member

Looks good to me

6. TripleBuy

TripleBuy Member won jan/06 simulator

Week one results!!!

Been a slow day at work so I tallied up the results after one week :

ChronicDDL
    +4.6%

englishman26
    +4.3%

chinaman711
    +3.8%

TripleBuy
    +3.2%

xboilermaker
    +3.1%

Luc1Grunt
    +2.7%

the_menace
    +2.2%

showmethemoney
    +1.2%

lilmikeybear32
    unch

kevin12
    -1.0%

BOOOYAHOOO! (all positions shorted)
    -3.6%

Kind of did this quickly, so don't crucify me if I screwed up. :D

7. englishman26

As I'm almost winning and Boo is losing by miles, I'm sure your calculations are correct! :wink:

8. ChronicDDL

Thanks TripleBuy, great job!!!

9. xboilermaker

xboilermaker Member won weekly contest 2x

Never heard of D J Stifel, but glad they started covering CBI, because it's my biggest holding in real life, and has decimated my portfolio the past few days. But not as fast as it's improving it now. Nearly 600 today, which puts me back in the black in real life, though still 4% down in Jan. contest.

Edit: Unless something drastic happens last 25 minutes, gonna bag $1200 today on this baby.

10. xboilermaker

xboilermaker Member won weekly contest 2x

After playing around with the stats, I have a deeper appreciation for your weekly summary Triplebuy, unless you have better tools than me. That's a lot of work. Mid-week, most of us are up double digits, a few are treading water, and one is begging for this to be over. Oh, if only you didn't have that minus by your picks, you would be about second or third, BOO.

11. TripleBuy

x-

Thanks for the props. I was suprised at some of the picks, considering that many of them are Cramer recommendations.

12. BOOOYAHOOO!

BOOOYAHOOO! banned

The funny thing is that you are getting excited about this competition and you really have no clue about what is going to hit you! :lol: Today is 1/11 and we aren't even 1/2 way through this thang, but I will designate you the o-fish-al game announcer. It'll be interesting to see how the tone in yer voice fluctuates as the month wears on. :lol:

13. englishman26

Why does the tone of your voice never alter regardless of how wrong you are?

14. TripleBuy

Weekly Standings - through 1/13

Here are the updated standings as of 4:00pm 1/13 -

ChronicDDL
    +9.0%

TripleBuy
    +6.5%

the_menace
    +5.5%

chinaman711
    +4.9%

XBoilermaker
    +4.8%

lilmikeybear32
    +4.5%

englishman26
    +4.4%

Luc1Grunt
    +4.2%

Showmethemoney
    -1.1%

BOOYAHOOO
    -5.2%

kevin12
    -11.5%

Some fun stats :

Biggest Gains Overall -

BBC - 16.4% TripleBuy
    BOOM - 13.0% englishman26
    BFT - 12.5% ChronicDDL

Biggest Gains (5-50) -

BBC - 16.4% TripleBuy
    BOOM - 13.0% englishman26
    BFT - 12.5% ChronicDDL

Biggest Gains (50-100) -

UPL - 12.1% lilmikeybear32
    TIE - 10.2% xboilermaker
    XOM - 8.1% ChronicDDL

Biggest Gains (100 and up) -

GOOG - 10.3% the_meanace & chinaman711
    ISRG - 7.8% BOOOYAHOOO
    SHLD - 6.3% ChronicDDL

15. ChronicDDL

Thanks for posting the results again TripleBuy; I know how much time it can take up calculating all those picks. Your weekly updates really add to the game and make it much better.

16. BOOOYAHOOO!

BOOOYAHOOO! banned

Re: Weekly Standings - through 1/13

C'mon now, you have me in second place for the biggest gainers on stocks priced above 100? I think I am actually down 7.8% on ISRG not up 7.8%. Let's give credit where credit is due! :D

17. englishman26

Boo discovers humility! It's a momentous day!

18. BOOOYAHOOO!

BOOOYAHOOO! banned

Not really, I think my return actually improved this past week! :lol: I said to give credit where credit is due. My credit won't be due until the close of this competition! :lol:

19. englishman26

I apologise for infact giving you too much credit. :roll:

20. BOOOYAHOOO!

BOOOYAHOOO! banned

:lol: Well I dunno. Right now I am in second last place and I'm gettin giddy! How could I not be giddy with some of these chart setups I be seeing right cheeeya! I sho hope you isn't long BOOM in real $$$. BOOM gonna give new meaning to da BIG BANG BOOM theory! :lol: We know da Fri low is gonna go! But how low will she go?!! :?: ISRG? If that pig doana hold 115 you will see a series of gapdown moves. WFMI is really my only concern but if I am lucky some idiot anal-yst will come out wit an upgrade to send it to levels it won't see again for 5 years. Just like HANS. Watch dat pig drop like Jimmy Hoffa did over da side o da boat. No wait, Jimmy Hoffa is buried in the endzone of the Meadowlands. :D First destination for WFMI will be 60.00 based on the last major trend top on da 1 year chawt (split adjusted). See dat on da 1 year chawt? Can you believe that the frenzied idiots were so eager to chase da Cramer pump that they gave it a 20% premium over where it should have traded to?!! I sho do! I'm glad Cramer is around. It used to be that shorting was a high anxiety activity. Now you can just play the Cramer pump and short anything stock trading near a 52 week high that he pumps. watch what happens to MYOG after this run is through. I'm thinking 39ish. That should be da max fo this move. Then it is on its way to 15.00 minimum. Ahhhhh, worry free investing. Learn it! Live by it! :wink: