WARNING!!! New forum software coming in the next few days!!

Discussion in 'Forum information and help' started by Thierry Martin, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Thierry Martin

Thierry Martin supreme commander won penny contest 2x weekly contest winner simulator winner 5x

We are going to be testing and installing brand new forum software starting this weekend,

There may be some outages while this is taking place.

I will try to keep the outages to a minimum - if it is more than a few minutes this will take place during the overnight hours when we have very little traffic.

Please be patient, this change was a long time coming, has been carefully planned, and I believe will make the forum a more pleasant experience for everyone.

It will also let the forum grow to its full potential - I am sure we can have a several times larger community without losing the intimacy that makes this forum special.

I know how difficult it is to adapt to new software, and it is human nature to complain about "who moved my cheese" - I have the same reactions.

After a few days you will hopefully agree that the changes we are making are an improvement.

Some of our current forum features will be available immediately, your usernames and passwords will remain the same.

Some things will have to be done manually, such as user ranks. Over the next couple of weeks everything should be restored to the way it was before the change, except we will running on a modern, upgradable platform that is cleaner, faster, and friendlier!

2. Blaine Tarr

Blaine Tarr forum leader won penny contest 24x won weekly contest 20x

Good look! I like where it's headed.

3. Acstudio

Acstudio Well-Known Member won penny contest 44x won weekly contest 40x won weekly contest 41x simulator winner 20x

I like :D

4. Thierry Martin

Thierry Martin supreme commander won penny contest 2x weekly contest winner simulator winner 5x

Thanks - first positive feedback! More to come - have a lot of tweaking to do. Images for the forums. Get some green back into the style of the forum templates. trophy system. Have to get some sleep, been wrestling with code for too long!

Acstudio likes this.
  5. Thierry Martin

Thanks Blaine, was concerned about being offline for almost 24 hours so I went live but there are many tweaks still to be done. Colors, images for forums, lots of little things, I have been delaying this for a year but now I have started I have to finish the job!

6. avontureke

avontureke Active Member

any way to get those charts (images) a bit bigger..? Clicking them only gives you the same small chards as before

7. Thierry Martin

The problem is with the imported files, you should be ok moving forward. Will try to fix old images.

8. avontureke

avontureke Active Member

the new ones are indeed a lot better !!

Good quality , now you finally clearly see the numbers on my chart. Much better than before....

9. main1event

main1event Member weekly contest winner

I like it :) Is the spam catcher as good as bulletin ?

10. Thierry Martin

Same systems!

main1event likes this.
  11. main1event

main1event Member weekly contest winner

I like the new Like Button :) YAY

Was it difficult to port the old threads over and how much was lost ? Does the system transfer over pictures, video links and hyperlinks well ?

12. Thierry Martin

some
    Yes it was tricky, still not finished, many tweaks coming. Elasticsearch (way better than default) being installed overnight tonight. Everything was imported, however many attachments are now thumbnails and also some posts are mangled but this is all fixable with scripts which I will run over the next few days. Nothing to worry about. All links to old content should be redirecting to new locations here.

13. Kenpolean

Kenpolean Member won penny contest 2x won weekly contest 6x

It's pretty. I see a few things missing, or maybe just moved, but this is a work-in-progress so I won't complain... yet. :)

14. Thierry Martin

Let me know what is bothering you so I can prioritize the fixes, addons, tweaks, settings etc.

15. Kenpolean

At the moment, the lack of an 'Edit' button really bothers me the most, but don't worry about it, Thierry. You've got a great forums here. It's got to be a massive load taking care of everything by yourself, and there's no point in complaining about things that you probably just haven't gotten to yet because of the size of the project. Just keeping doing what you're doing man, and let us know when the upgrade is done. Exciting potential here, as "cleaner, faster, and friendlier" is always a good thing. :)

PS: This one might be a legitimate bug... when I go to my account page and click on 'Personal Details', I get the following error message...

16. Thierry Martin

Wow, permissions are quite mixed up for some members. Fixed yours - you should be able to edit, delete, etc. now, the "weekly challenge winner" permissions were set incorrectly and overriding your regular privileges. Sorry about that! We had data going back to 2003, updated in 2005, and imported multiple times for upgrades. Surprised more stuff isn't broken. At least we will be set for a while now, the software we were using before was end of life two years ago.

17. Kenpolean

Ooh, thanks, Thierry!!

18. geojad

geojad Member won weekly contest 53x won penny contest 91x simulator winner 11x

OTF monthly is not working properly, for two days now orders are not be taken. Have been trying to trade for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Nothing, also, same for yesterday.
    Yesterday, wrong prices, and unable to trade. OTF monthly is not functioning properly.

19. Thierry Martin

OK thanks I will contact MarketWatch to see what is happening.