Question: Problem with Think or Swim Custom Buy with Stop

Discussion in 'Learn how to trade or invest by asking questions' started by Ocean Zhang, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Ocean Zhang

Ocean Zhang New Member

Trying to do a custom buy with a .5% stop loss from entry. The sell order immediately gets rejected saying "TRIGGERED" Stop TRG may not have a stop price." Images attached of my trade settings and the canceled orders showing that message. The buy order still gets filled. It's just the sell to close that gets auto-canceled. I understand the latency between order entry, fill, and stop loss order may cause the stop to trigger before the stop loss is put on the books, but at 0.50%, the stop isn't tight enough for that. As you can see from the examples on AAPL, the stop trigger price of 0.50% at 13:00 was $138.23, which was well short of the candle at that time. In fact, AAPL's intraday low was 138.64, so there's no way the stop. What am I doing wrong? Does the message "may not" have a stop price mean "might not" or "can not"? I interpreted it as "might not," but if it means "can not", then how do I do an in/out order with a stop loss?

canceled orders.png

trade entry.png

2. Ocean Zhang

Ocean Zhang New Member

The other weird thin is if I try it with 5 shares, the order fills with the stop loss exactly where it should be. But when I bump it up to $5k, then the stop loss always gets triggered before it gets entered. I should clarify that even though the sell stop says "TRIGGERED", it's never actually triggered where it closes my position. The buy order fills, and I just stay in the position without a stop loss. Not a huge deal with 0.50% stop. I can always go back and enter it after the buy is filled, but eventually I'd like to scalp with a 2-3 pip stop, so I need the in/out order to work as intended. :)

3. Acstudio

Acstudio Well-Known Member won penny contest 44x won weekly contest 40x won weekly contest 41x simulator winner 20x

Stop using MKT orders. Use Limit orders.