Precious Metals

Discussion in 'Stock picks and trading strategies' started by likesmoney, Jan 29, 2011.

1. likesmoney

likesmoney Member

Looks like it is time to reload precious metals...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. likesmoney

likesmoney Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. likesmoney

likesmoney Member

The intermediate cycle is just beginning. It should rally for another 11 - 15 weeks

[​IMG]

4. Zumwalt

Zumwalt Member won weekly contest 3x

I agree with you. I am long SLW and FCX.

5. likesmoney

likesmoney Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. likesmoney

likesmoney Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 8307c4

8307c4 Member weekly contest winner

On the notes of silver there's a relatively new ETF on the market trading under symbol SIL,
    it is similar in performance to SLV but to my understanding they are maintained by different
    investment firms... I held a position in SLV for about the last six months and while I am not
    at all displeased by its performance I simply prefer SIL, either one however, is good.

Side notes:
    An ETF is an Exchange Traded Fund, in this case a stock that trades like the commodity it represents,
    however an ETF is not directly connected to the price of the commodity itself, rather it merely attempts
    to mimic the behavior of the commodity by covering a variety of stocks (hence the fund) related to said
    commodity, in the case of metals usually mining and related companies.
    Should it need to be said, ETF's that fail to mimic the commodity they represent closely don't stay popular for very long.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  8. Zumwalt

Ummmm... SIL tracks silver miners while SLV tracks the silver metal price. So no shit they perform differently

Things tend to not track depending on how the ETF is configured. If it is something like USO, oil futures are used so you get contango. In the case of SLV and GLD, they actually have the metal locked up in a vault somewhere and they have shares be part ownership of the holdings.

9. 8307c4

That is not what I said and I neither appreciate this nor the rest of your statement at all,
    if you wish to disagree with me that's fine but at least do your research and if you want
    to knock that I don't fully know my stocks then at least make sure you do!

The reason they perform different is because they are not only maintained by different firms
    but they consist of different base stocks, however a fund is merely a collection of stocks,
    because only stocks can be traded on the stock market hence no ETF stock collection can ever
    own in part or in whole any precious metal in and of itself, rather ETF's attempt to mimic the
    price of the commodity they represent by allocating themselves towards a collection
    of stocks which in the case of Basic Materials usually consists of mining companies.

Because what I'm trying to tell you is that without looking it up I already know that all of Gold and Silver
    and petrol and copper and iron ore and steel and vanadium and palladium and diamonds and any other horse
    shit that comes out of the ground belongs to the Basic Materials sector, which is one of near a dozen sectors
    the stock market sub-divides their nearly 15 thousand stocks into and that I can not only almost always tell
    you what stock belongs to which sector but that I have also pretty much have them memorized, these sectors.

So the only question is which ones SLV and SIL consist of, and I really don't care because I don't
    have to know these things in order to ascertain from the looks of the chart that they both do a
    fine job of representing said commodity, however they do act somewhat different but rather than
    pointing out more of the obvious I thought I would leave it up to the reader to figure out that SIL
    tends to have more pronounced fluctuations than SLV but other than that they are actually almost
    damn near identical!

Not different, but almost identical!
    That is what similar means.

Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
    Bellringer66 likes this.
  10. Zumwalt

Did you not read what I said?

SIL contains shares of companies. SLV and GLD contain the actual metals locked up in a vault.

44 year old noob here... jesus christ.

11. Good posts. Bump

12. 8307c4

Stocks don't contain commodities locked up in vaults.
    And I don't care who told you that.

Here, straight from the horse's mouth:

What is an Exchange Traded Fund (ETF)? <- This is a working link. (1)

An exchange traded fund (ETF) is an investment vehicle that combines key features of traditional mutual funds and individual stocks. Like index mutual funds, ETFs represent diversified portfolios of securities that track specific indexes. Like stocks, they can be bought and sold (long or short) on an exchange throughout the trading day. In addition to trading flexibility, key ETF benefits include instant portfolio diversification, tax efficiency, and transparency of cost and holdings.

SLV and GLD are part of the family of Ishares funds which are managed by the Blackrock corporation:
    http://us.ishares.com/understand_etf/index.htm

Definitions of Web link on the Web:
    In computing, a hyperlink (or link) is a reference to a document that the reader can directly follow, or that is followed automatically. The reference points to a whole document or to a specific element within a document. Hypertext is text with hyperlinks. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_link

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  13. Blaine Tarr

Blaine Tarr forum leader won penny contest 24x won weekly contest 20x

From the SLV prospectus:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1330568/000119312510280954/dfwp.htm

From iShares website:

http://us.ishares.com/product_info/fund/overview/SLV.htm

yes, SLV owns real silver!

14. Zumwalt

You are so ignorant it is ridiculous.

Old people are too set in their ways and should not trade. Go invest in bonds, stocks are not for you!

15. 8307c4

All right, I can appreciate the research you put into this and am willing to accept your logic and point of view,
    I suppose I'll have to take a read through but in the meantime you've made your point and I accept my error.

The thing is I neither did nor do I appreciate the way you come across hurling insults, that's what the crux of
    the matter was all about, the only reason I didn't say much is I may have made the same mistake and I will let
    this be a lesson to watch how I address folks but that doesn't give you the implied right to do it to me either.
    Rather you could have taken the intelligent way out but you chose to continue addressing me in this most
    ignorant fashion, so at this point I feel like I have no choice but to put you on ignore.

On another note, things such as prison, bankruptcy, alcoholism and drug addiction, divorce, death,
    extreme poverty, homelessness, traumatic physical ailments such as broken bones and third degree burns,
    prolonged unemployment, hunger to the point of starvation and I'm sure there's more...
    Things such as those have that effect of setting us in our ways, folks who have a couple of hundred laps
    under their belt don't feel like going through most of those more than once, after so many years on this
    planet we know what works and what doesn't, and insofar as the stories such as gold backed stocks,
    we done heard all of that, 100 times over.
    Matter of fact, according to today's email I should be a millionaire, yesterday's email, too.
    Hey you, yeah you, the dumbass in the corner, come'ere I got all this money just for you!
    And the one the day before, sounded just as convincing as the half of this thread...

Once you get your tail raked over the coals so many times it gets to that point
    you want to be sure that even when you are wrong, you are right.

Have a nice day.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  16. Zumwalt

17. likesmoney

likesmoney Member

Time to lock in profits

[​IMG]

Happy Trading

18. likesmoney

likesmoney Member

[​IMG]

19. hasankamal

hasankamal New Member

The reason they perform different is because they are not only maintained by different firms but they consist of different base stocks, however a fund is merely a collection of stocks, because only stocks can be traded on the stock market

20. Bellringer66

Bellringer66 Member won penny contest 16x won sept/11 simulator won weekly contest 13x won dec/12 simulator won apr/12 simulator won dec/11 simulator won aug/11 simulator won aug/12 simulator won may/11 simulator won mar/11 simulator won oct/11 simulator won oct/12 simulator won nov/11 simulator won nov/12 simulator

NGD broke resistance today. Curious to see if it will hold.