Malicious malware on this site?

Discussion in 'Forum information and help' started by SwingKing22, Dec 25, 2013.

1. SwingKing22

SwingKing22 Member weekly contest winner

Is anyone getting a malicious malware warning when they try to access this site via Chrome? Just started happening to me a few days ago. Strange.

2. Thierry Martin

Thierry Martin supreme commander won penny contest 2x weekly contest winner simulator winner 5x

Hope you had a nice holiday - mine was spent getting rid of injected code leading to a malware site. Haven't even slept. All is fixed now, however until Google takes us off the "blacklist" the warnings will still appear, it can take up to 24 hours. We caught this fairly quickly, it happened yesterday evening, all holes plugged, nothing compromised, just an attempt to redirect visitors to a site that Google is blocking, so no harm should be done. Just a giant waste of time.

3. SwingKing22

SwingKing22 Member weekly contest winner

I did. Thank you. I'm sorry to hear you had such a long long day cleaning up that fiasco. :( We appreciate your hard work though. Hopefully you can enjoy the rest of the day.

4. dh3607

dh3607 Member

Yea sorry to hear you spent so long trying to rectify it. I read through the google warning and I was fairly confidant that It was probably an ad or an independent forum post that was doing it.

5. Thierry Martin

Thierry Martin supreme commander won penny contest 2x weekly contest winner simulator winner 5x

It was a hack that has been going around on the forum software that we use - a hacker was able to insert an "iFrame" into our templates which could redirect visitors to a site containing malware. We plugged the security hole - which was previously plugged but apparently hackers have found a new way around it. It's a constant battle. Ask Target.

6. dh3607

dh3607 Member

I'm not going to be surprised at ALL if target ends up being an inside job. It's the only way I can see it getting into every store in the US, without it being a DEEP security hole, in which case it would have affected more stores, because for the most part, there's only a handful of vendors for the PoS systems that are used nationally.

7. Thierry Martin

Well let's say you install a script inside the software that controls every terminal, and that script sends the info you are stealing somewhere - so far law enforcement says it was not an inside job. Hard to imagine this kind of vulnerability, shows you the future for digital security firms is good. While dealing with this hack here at at forum, which took me 24 hours to fix, I had multiple opportunities to have it done by pros, with prices ranging from $89 one time to $99 an hour. (a pro would have not taken more than an hour or two. And I did pay for a complete scan of our servers to make sure nothing had been tampered with.) I didn't do it myself to save money, but because I like to understand what is going on. I think the exploit we had was timed to happen when webmasters and security companies are on holiday, and not available to remove the malware links. The longer they are up, the more data they capture, the more money they make selling credit card info etc.

8. Thierry Martin