Brand new TD Ameritrade account with $1,750.

Discussion in 'Learn how to trade or invest by asking questions' started by farmerjohn1324, Apr 11, 2017.

1. farmerjohn1324

farmerjohn1324 New Member

I'm looking for tips and advice. Is the market entirely efficient in your eyes? I really don't have time to analyze 100's of companies financials. Should I go with a fund? What kind? What about emerging markets? Are they doing good? I really don't even know where to start other than guessing at random.

2. farmerjohn1324

farmerjohn1324 New Member

I went ahead and bought 13 x DEM (high-dividend emerging market ETF) and 2 x VOO.

I still have $777.48 left to purchase. I don't want it to just sit there in cash.

I kind of just picked these two randomly. Maybe I should do more research next time? Or is that fruitless due to the efficient market theory? What would YOU pick and why?

3. Acstudio

Acstudio Well-Known Member won penny contest 44x won weekly contest 40x won weekly contest 41x simulator winner 20x

So over half of your acct is in 2 positions. My advice would be to save up another 1k$ and create option strategies that can spread your risk around and reduce your cost basis. Using 2500$ I currently have over 85 positions in 25 underlyings using only option strategies. Check out Tastytrade.com tons of archives for the beginner and it's all free all the time.

4. ineedupticks

ineedupticks Member won penny contest 2x won weekly contest 2x

i would probably start by trading something easy like SPY